If you haven’t heard by now, in about three weeks accomplished speaker and apologist Alan Shlemon of Stand To Reason will be right here in Rapid City September 10th & 11th. South Dakota Apologetics, in partnership with Family Heritage Alliance, are bringing in Alan to help inform and equip Christians in the Black Hills area to successfully live as ambassadors for Christ in this rapidly changing culture.
If you have ever conversed with a friend, co-worker or acquaintance about your convictions as a believer in Jesus Christ and felt unprepared to answer the objections brought up, this event is for you! The topics chosen are meant to address some of the hottest issues being debated in our communities today. During this seminar we will be providing the following topics for your benefit. Below are brief descriptions of each subject strait from the STR website:
- Ambassadors for Christ – The Essential Skills (10AM Saturday)
- “Did you know you represent Jesus in everything you do and say every day? Paul tells us in 2 Corinthians 5:20 that we are all ambassadors for Christ. How well do you represent your King in the areas of knowledge, wisdom, and character? Get trained so you fulfill your role as a knowledgeable, winsome, and persuasive representative on critical issues of the Christian worldview.”
- Tactics in Defending the Faith (11AM Saturday)
- “Have you ever been tongue-tied in a conversation about religion? You just need a few tactics—tools to help you maneuver in conversation no matter what the subject. You’ll learn how to recognize faulty reasoning, expose bad arguments, and use questions instead of statements to make your point. I guarantee that with these tactics you will be able to make an impact in any conversation, on any topic, and with anyone.”
- Homosexuality: Truth and Compassion (12:45PM Saturday)
- “What should the relationships with our friends and family who identify as gay and lesbian look like? Alan will answer that question with truth and compassion. He’ll clarify what both Scripture and science say about homosexuality and then offer practical principles for the church, our friends, and our family that will help guide our interactions.”
- Same Sex Marriage and the Future of Family (3PM Saturday)
- “With new legislation for same-sex marriage, the future of family is at stake, and the legal implications will likely lead to restrictions in religious liberties. What are you doing about it? Do you know how to explain why we should reject same-sex marriage and why homosexuals should join us in this opposition? In this timely session, Alan will help you understand these issues and train you to defend the future of family.”
- A Closer Look at Islam (1:30PM Sunday)
- “Islam is gaining more attention every day, but popular beliefs about Islam seem to be missing the true nature of Muslim beliefs and practices. Alan will demystify what Islam really teaches and examine how it stacks up to Christianity, giving you a better understanding of Muslims and their faith.”
- Bad Arguments Against Religion (3PM Sunday)
- “There might be some good arguments against religion, but these aren’t them. We’ll take a look at some of the most common arguments offered against religion and show what’s wrong with them. Arguments like, “God can’t exist if evil exists,” “science has disproved religion,” “there is no truth,” or “Christians are intolerant” are just a few that you’ll be equipped to address.”
If you are interested in hearing Alan Shlemon in advance to get a feel for what he is all about, Alan recently hosted the #STRask podcast and you can listen to it here. He has also done a few of STR’s longer podcasts that you can listen to here and here.
We welcome everyone who wants to come and listen in. There will be plenty of opportunities to ask questions and get feedback. Admission is free for everyone! There will be door prizes, lunch served on the first day and snacks provided by local businesses!
We have lots of room at the conference which will be held at South Canyon Baptist Church on the west side of town. The first day, Saturday September 10th, will start in the morning around 9:30 AM and end at 5:00 PM. Lunch will be served around 12:00 PM. The second day, Sunday September 11th, will start after lunch time at 1:00 PM and end at 4:00 PM.
Please register for this event if you plan to come! We need to know how many people will be coming so that we can be prepared! Below is the website you need to sign up at if you plan to come: